Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dollars and Sense: The $36,500 Pyramid

I did some math today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if CC Sabathia plays out his entire seven-year contract with the Yankees, and he remains in good health throughout (unlikely for a pitcher--especially one of his size--to avoid the DL save for a 15 day trip here and there), throwing roughly 30 games a year at a very solid rate of about 7IP per game, for 210 innings for each of the seven years... at $161M he'll be earning approximately $36,500 per out. PER OUT!!!!

Better yet, he'll be earning over $100,000 per inning!!!!! And that doesn't even have to be a good inning!!! It can be a leadoff walk followed by a double, a single, a homer, a triple, a sac-fly, a single, a fielder's choice, a homer and a pop-out!!! Yes!!! With one out CC will earn the annual salary of thousands of teachers, plumbers, nurses, etc. And with one mediocre inning he can earn a 100K salary! He could buy the Illinois junior senator seat with less than a "quality start"!!! Wow!!!

Yes, I know, I know-- a player (or anyone) is worth as much as someone is willing to pay him. I've made the argument often. But I'm still blown away by the math here.

Enjoy it CC. The world is your ball-pit and you're the giant that pitches in it. I hope you really did want to play in New York. They won't forget the price tag.






Related Posts by Subject



0 comments: