Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Mulligan: Time to Get Rowdy

This week’s tournament is the FBR Open in Scottsdale, Arizona, played at TPC Scottsdale. This course boasts one of the most beautiful holes in all of golf. Every year I look forward to this tournament just to see the beauty that is Hole 16. Set deep within the McDowell Mountains as they collide with the Sonoran Desert, the landscape is picturesque to say the least. Words don’t do it justice. See for yourself here.

However, the natural beauty is not why I consider Hole 16 one of the most beautiful holes in all of golf. I find beauty in the energy of the fans that surround the playing area. I still have hopes that one day a real-life Happy Gilmore will grace my television screen and beat up a celebrity during a Pro-Am as I watch live. This might just happen on Hole 16. With nearly 20,000 fans surrounding the hole, it is the PGA’s noisiest and rowdiest hole on tour. The fans are known to drink a little too much (especially on Sunday) and their misadventures have been well documented.

I can imagine nothing that would be more beautiful than to look over and see a guy with a nail in his head wearing a shirt that says “Guns don’t kill people, I kill people.” If/When I see this, I will not hesitate to call Hole 16 THE most beautiful hole in all of golf.

So that brings me to my picks for this week. I think the player that best fits into this atmosphere and will probably even feed off of the fan energy is one of my favorites: Jason Gore. Look for him to have a good weekend.

My pick to win this week is J.B. Holmes. He has won this tournament 2 of the last 3 years, and he is a young gun who really feeds off the Scottsdale energy as well.

Also, watch out for Geoff Ogilvy. I think Ogilvy is going to have a career year in 2009 and this weekend should be no exception.





Related Posts by Subject



0 comments: