Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Mulligan: The 136th Open Championship


The Mulligan has been on a roll lately, picking 3 straight winners. Hopefully we can keep up the momentum for this week's tournament; "The Open Championship." This year, The British Open is being played on Turnberry in Ayrshire, Scotland. This should be a great week for all golf fans. I can't wait for Thursday.

Rory McIlroy has played well in the few majors he has participated in. He has the distance to give him an advantage over the shorter hitters, and growing up in England makes me think he has the game to handle the British Open style courses. I think The British Open is the title McIlroy has always dreamed of winning, and I think he will bring his A game.

Geoff Ogilvy has righted the ship after hitting a mild slump. If you have been following The Mulligan this season, you know how much I like Ogilvy. I stayed away from picking him recently because his game didn't seem as good as usual. However, mark my words. Ogilvy is back! He has finished in the Top-15 in 2 of his last 3 starts and I think it is safe to pick him again. Look for Ogilvy to finish this season strong, maybe with a jump start major victory at Turnberry.

I have a gut feeling that Henrik Stenson is going to contend this week. The Swede is due for a major championship. He won the Players earlier this year and he finished 9th in the US Open. He seems to elevate his game for the big tournaments and this is a big tournament.

The No-Brainer pick is Tiger Woods. Rather than waste your time about why I think he is a good pick, I will post this link that a friend of mine sent me telling about how Tiger and other players have their outfits chosen over a year in advance. Interesting stuff.

For this week's sleeper, I am going with Soren Kjeldsen. If you haven't heard of this Denmark native, don't worry. Unless you follow the European Tour with some regularity, you have no reason to know of him. However, Kjeldsen is the real deal. He has been tearing up the European Tour this season. He has finished in the Top-15 his last 4 starts and I think he could make some noise at The Open.

Good luck this week and lets keep moving to the top of the fantasy golf rankings!




Related Posts by Subject



0 comments: