Thursday, November 26, 2009

NCAA Fantasy Finals: Keep the stat-quo or make some changes?

This is it. Do or die. After blowing out my opponent by over 50 points last week, I have made it to the finals. I am competing for bragging rights, for pride, and for the (metaphorical) trophy. I am up against the team that had handed me my only loss on the season, and this being my first time making it to the finals, I am a little hesitant about making any moves on my roster. After debating with myself, I hoped there’s not much to do now but set my lineup, eat some turkey, and wait for the games to start. Or so I thought.

Eating turkey and waiting for the games to start was the easy part. Setting my lineup, not so much. Turns out my two stud QBs, Joe Webb and Kellen Moore will both face tough opponents this weekend. Moore and Boise State will face a Nevada team that is 7-0 in the WAC, and has won 8 straight games. Moore must show up big or risk losing not only the conference championship, but a BCS bid as well. On the other hand, Joe Webb tries to log one last W that would bring UAB to a bowl-eligible 6-6. This would be so much easier, if I could pick up Trevor Harris out of D-II Edinboro, who went 50 of 76 for 630yds and 7TDs (2 rushing)…in only his second game back from knee surgery. But because I couldn’t be so lucky, and because of the rushing and passing potential, I am going to stick with Webb. This should make for an interesting fantasy matchup, seeing as my opponent is starting Case Keenum, making this a battle of the top-2 fantasy players of 2009.

I had to do a bit of work on my team in other areas, seeing as both James Cleveland and Naaman Roosevelt, two of the top-15 WRs in the nation are at best questionable this weekend. Averaging over 8 receptions per game, if Cleveland is listed as injured, it will surely hurt my productivity this week. This, along with early reports stating Roosevelt will not be playing on Friday night, cause some concern. In order to quash that, I dropped Roosevelt and was somehow able to pick up Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss.

What’s great about McCluster, is the fact that he’s a RB listed as a WR, and only needs 97yds against Mississippi State in order to eclipse the 1,000yds on the season, making him the sixth-best fantasy WR in the nation. Chances are, you won’t get as lucky as I did, seeing as he is started in 90% of leagues, and owned in 94% on CBS. Starting Golden Tate and Danario Alexander, and with the addition of McCluster, my starting WRs make up three of the top-6 WRs in the nation. Hopefully this will ensure victory and year-long bragging rights.

Unfortunately, my backfield is in a similar position. Top-10 RB Bernard Pierce, who has been extremely productive averaging over 20FPts for 2009, will sit out as Temple plays Ohio for the MAC East title. Additionally, even though Darius Marshall will be back after sitting out last week with a knee injury, the Thundering Herd showed that they had plenty of depth at RB and would play the man with the hottest hand. This makes starting Marshall a risky move. In order to avoid such a risk, I dropped Pierce and picked up Frank Goodin out of Louisiana-Monroe. I have mentioned Goodin several times this season, and finally have the chance to utilize his talents, albeit in the last fantasy matchup of the season. If any of you need assistance at RB, Goodin is the way to go since he is owned in only 6% of leagues.

This is the season to be thankful, and I sure am thankful for college football, the internet, and thus, NCAA Fantasy football. Lets hope I can be thankful through the offseason. Happy Thanksgiving to all!




Related Posts by Subject



0 comments: