Monday, January 19, 2009

Jacked Up: Wes Welker Meet Willis McGahee


Let me preface this post by saying I wish Willis McGahee a speedy and full recovery, nobody wants to see anyone get hurt. With that said, I have now seen Ryan Clark land two of the biggest hits of the football season. Mr. Welker was his first victim and Clark sealed the Steelers victory yesterday with his hit on McGahee. Clark is by no means Ronnie Lott, but all season long he has come up with major plays and should be recognized as one of the better safeties in the game, notice I did not say best. However, his teammate, Troy Polamalu is the best safety in the NFL.

Being second to Polamalu isn't a knock on Ed Reed, Reed is phenominal, but in the biggest game of the year for each team, Polamalu stepped up and Reed, well many questioned whether he even played yesterday. Barring exceptional circumstances, both are on pace to be first ballot hall of famers, but showing up in big time games is what really separates the truly great players. When it seemed as if Baltimore was ready to march downfield and win, Polamalu read Flacco and sealed the trip to Tampa. That epitomizes why he is a slight step above Reed.

I would also like to congratulate the Cardinals for their first trip to the Super Bowl in franchise history. Eagles fans are rightfully POed about the pass interference call against Curtis, or lack thereof, but they still would have had to score a touchdown just to tie. For three quarters, Arizona dominated just about every facet of the game and in the end deserved to advance.

As a Steelers fan, I am glad I don't have to face the Eagles, but Zona scares me. Their strengths play to the Steelers' weaknesses better than any other team in the NFL. This Super Bowl is filled with great underlying themes which you will hear about ad nauseum over the next two weeks, so I will spare you, but this should be an exciting one. A ferocious hitting team vs an electrifying offense. I'll save my prediction for another time, but no matter the result, at least the Patriots won't be in the Super Bowl.




Related Posts by Subject



2 comments:

Mike Colligan said...

Good post. I know you didn't say Ryan Clark is the best safety but one of the best? I don't know. He's got great straight ahead speed and plays a very safe game which allows Polamalu to do whatever it is that a Polamalu does...but I just don't see him as one of the elite like Adrian Wilson or Brian Dawkins or Ed Reed.

On a side note, did anyone find the rock music ("Down on a Corner") blaring over the speakers a little odd while McGahee laid motionless and potentially seriously injured on the field??

Joe Romano said...

Now Michael, I didn't say one of the best, in fact I said "notice I did not say best". I feel as though he is one of the better ones. Probably top 20 to top 15. Granted he plays in a system that may play to his strengths, but he still makes plays regardless. You just like to argue with the best fantasy GM ever to grace the W&J fantasy football league.