Thursday, October 15, 2009

Week 7 - Still Sticking with Smaller Schools' Studs

QB Update

Ok, so I was wrong about Christian Ponder…again. The Seminoles’ QB had a career day, going 26 of 36, throwing for 358yds and 5TDs in a loss to Georgia Tech (45 fantasy points). But, I don’t take back what I said about inconsistency – as a result of the obvious up-and-down play of the rest of the team. Even though he is a top-15 fantasy QB, I would play him with caution (not this week – FSU is on a Bye).

Aaron Opelt threw for 85yds and 0 TD, but received an injury to his throwing shoulder in the first quarter and will likely not be in the lineup in Week 7. Even if he does play, I would be hesitant as a result of the injury, and with the multitude of options in NCAA Fantasy, its kinda fun to switch it up and try new guys.

On that note, I gave Kellen Moore a shot last night. Honestly, the main reason is because of Boise State’s need to blow out Tulsa in order to impress the BCS voters. (Not to mention Tulsa’s 48th-ranked pass defense). Well, even though the Broncos failed to blow Tulsa away, Moore went 21 for 29 with 187yds and 3 scores. He landed me a pretty good 25 points, to give me a pretty good start to this week. We all know about the recurring (read: nagging) Boise State controversy – they can’t get into the BCS Championship because of their schedule – which makes Moore someone to look out for throughout the remainder of the season…he has the potential to put up big numbers against weaker opponents.

Tight Ends

Until I saw on the Bottom-Line on ESPN, I didn’t realize I had failed to talk about TEs. I had been playing Caz Piurowski out of FSU, who was a top-10 fantasy TE up until he suffered a season-ending knee injury on Saturday against Georgia Tech. I would have liked to grab Dorin Dickerson out of Pitt, but he was already taken in my league. Dickerson seems to be able to find the end-zone, recording 7TDs and 230yds on the season, so take him if you can.

Instead, I am going with Jesse Rack out of Buffalo who, along with Naaman Roosevelt provide the primary red-zone targets for Zach Maynard. Buffalo is not doing so hot this year, but they play Akron (0-2, 1-4) this weekend, so it could end up being beneficial. Again, the obvious risk is if Maynard has a terrible passing day, I could shoot myself in the foot going with both Rack and Roosevelt. But, I’ll give it a shot and let you know.

Running Backs

Obviously, if you can grab fantasy production-machine Jacquizz Rodgers out of Oregon State (13TD on almost 700yds), do it! But if not, Darius Marshall panned-out for me in Week 6. He ran for 98yds and 2TDs, giving me 21pts. Even though Marshall plays a solid West Virginia squad, I’m going to keep Marshall in my active lineup, because he seems to be the Thundering Herd’s go-to guy.

But, you might also want to consider either of a pair of RBs from a surprising 5-1 Idaho. This scary dual-headed monster plays a Hawaii team that’s dead-last in the WAC. Both Princeton McCarty (125yds/16att/TD) and DeMaundray Woolridge (93yds/18att/2TD) put up some competitive fantasy numbers, although Woolridge has 8TD on the year. If you’re a risk taker, pick ‘em both up, but that seems too rich even for my blood.

Just some things to think about.






Related Posts by Subject



0 comments: