One week of fantasy hockey is in the books for the SportsJudge.com Fantasy Hockey Challenge and Declan G of PuckCentral.net is off to an undefeated start. In case you missed it, be sure to check out our list of SportsJudge writers and the experts from the US and Canada who are competing this season as well as the draft recap. Also, be sure to check out our experts websites. If you're a hockey fan, these six sources are all you need to stay up-to-date on all 30 teams in the NHL. Let's get into Week 1...
To see detailed matchups and rosters of each team, click the images on the right.
SportsJudge Colligan (Mike Colligan) vs. Between the Pipes (Manson Seto)
- It's hard to argue that the MVP of the week wasn't Dany Heatley for Colligan as he lit up the scoreboard with 5 goals, 5 assists, and 10 PIM in his first week with the new squad in San Jose.
- Goaltending was the big letdown for Seto. With Nabakov, Brodeur, Leclaire and the "Monster" on his roster, there won't be many weeks where he'll lose all four goalie categories like he did this week. On the flip side, Brooks Laich (3G, 4A) and his newfound role on the Caps powerplay was a pleasant surprise.
TheHockeyWriters.com (Bruce Hollingdrake) vs. InsideHockey.com (Alex Linsky)
- Bruce has the best defensemen in the league, but Mike Green failing to score and losing Markov for a few months makes it tough. Adding Carle and Hedman to the mix should allow him to move forward with minimal damage.
- Even with troubles logging into the draft, Alex somehow managed to get Malkin, Parise, and Richards on his team which makes his 20 goals and 40 assists for the week hardly a surprise. If he can avoid injuries throughout the season, his team is going to be hard to outscore.
IglooClub (Darren Coslov) vs. Phil Bourque (Joe Romano)
- This was a great matchup between SportsJudge foes and fittingly it ended in a tie. Coslov capitalized on the huge offensive weeks by Ovechkin and Backstrom and with Kessel and Hossa sitting on IR, he looks to be the favorite at this point in the season.
- Romano is about as balanced as it gets. He got production from top to bottom and his underrated players like Wojtek Wolski (4G, 1A) came through big.
Turkey Hold Dimaio (Schrembs at SaucerPass.com) vs. Illegal Curve (Richard Pollack)
- Schrembs didn't mess around with soft players on draft day, making sure to get Chara (16 PIM) and Pronger (18 PIM). In goal, Jon Quick and the LA Kings have looked great so far and Mikka Kiprusoff has been racking up wins. I have a hunch Thomas may lose quite a few starts to Tuuka Rask as the year progresses, but Boston is still one of the East's better teams and will rebound from a sluggish start.
- Richard had a rough week, but he's got big-time scorers and great young defensemen just waiting to break out. Spezza, Iginla, Backes, and Weber are off to curiously slow starts and he finished just short in a number of categories.
Puck Prospectus (Timo Seppa) vs. PuckCentral.net (Declan G)
- Timo was shutout, but Roberto Luongo fantasy owners are used to his slow starts by now. Jose Theodore is making quite a bid for the starting job in Washington and he made an interesting pickup of Antero Niittymaki. Mike Smith hasn't looked himself and a few more good starts from Nitty could mean big changes.
- Declan sits on top of the league after one week with his undefeated victory behind goal-scoring machines Crosby, Carter, Marleau, and Selanne. What's also interesting to me is aside from Jovanovski, he's got a ton of young defense with a ton of talent. There's obviously risk associated with unproven young defensemen, but it'll be fun to see how this plays out over the course of an entire season.