Tuesday, September 29, 2009

First to Third: Reviewing My NL Predictions

After round one of the review of my pre-season picks, I'm back for more evidence that I'm not a genius. This time, we'll dissect my NL pre-season picks.

NL Postseason Awards: I guessed Dan Haren would win the NL Cy Young award this year and he's put up strong numbers but will likely get votes, but will come up short. Manny Ramirez was my NL MVP and his steroid suspension and poor numbers this year won't even put him in the conversation.

NL Playoffs: I had the Phillies winning the division, which will happen and the Mets taking the Wild Card. Since the Mets... well... fell apart (literally), they aren't in the conversation. I picked the Cubs to win the Central and the Cardinals to finish fourth. I can't understand how the Cubs managed to do this bad, but my oversight of the Cardinals was embarrassing. St. Louis pitching coach, Dave Duncan is some sort of genius. Out West, I crowned the Dodgers, which was easy, but I had the Rockies, the likely wild card team this year, in fourth. The Cubs were my pick to win the pennant. Ouch.

What I really did in spring training was sit down and wonder what's not going to happen... yes, that's it. I wasn't the only one, though, as ESPN's Buster Olney liked the Cubs in the Central and Tim Kurkjian sent them to the World Series, like I did. Peter Gammons put the Mets in the World Series and gave the Central to the Cubs. ESPN, if you're reading this, I'm available! ESPN Expert Picks.




Related Posts by Subject



3 comments:

3rdStoneFromTheSun said...

I think you did good myself

Rob Burckhard said...

Thanks very much! I don't think anyone will ever understand the Cubs, who were my big disappointment. I've learned, though, and probably won't pick them to win anything ever again!

Anonymous said...

How do I get the playstation 3 to connect to the internet....I've hooked up the ethernet cable from my computer to the ps3 and had the ps3 run an internet connection scan with no luck....It always displays connection failed....Please help.